Group Head: Dr. R. Chitra, Scientist 'E'
Soil Mechanics group comprises of Soil divisions, Soil Chemistry division, Information Technology division, and Drilling division. Main activities are:
- Field and laboratory soil investigations viz. foundation and borrow area investigations of various river valley projects and civil engineering structures are taken up for characterization of soil and construction/foundation materials.
- Assistance are also offered to the projects for carrying out the foundation investigations and the field tests such as Standard Penetration test, Static Cone Penetration test, Plate Load test, Insitu Permeability test etc.
- Special investigations are also carried out for characterizing the problematic soils such as expansive and dispersive soils.
- Fly ash characterisation
- Quality Control/Assurance of Earthen Dams.
- Numerical Modelling
- Chemical investigation on soil as a construction material.
- Information Technology Division
The Information Technology division is involved in various Information Technology related activities such as:
- Server Management, Management of DTP facility, Network Support, Computer Services Support (including NICNET services), Procurement of Computer and related Products Purchase, Automation of various user divisions/sections including Data Archiving and Retrieval (Digitization of records), Website Support and Maintenance, Call coordination for Repair and Maintenance, AMC related works of IT Products, Coordination for IT specific Training programmes. This division has undertaken a study on Information Strategy Plan (ISP).
- Drilling Technology Division
- The Drilling division is equipped with deep drilling facilities. The Drilling division can also do the drilling required for in-situ investigations.
- Dissemination of expertise to in-service engineers of various State Government Departments by establishing regional testing laboratories and impart training in testing of soil.
- Impart training to engineers from within the country and from overseas for investigation and testing in the fields of Geotechnical Engineering.