What is CSMRS?
The Central Soil and Materials Research Station (CSMRS), an attached office of the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, is a premier Institute in the country located in New Delhi which deals with field and laboratory investigations, basic and applied research on problems in geomechanics, concrete technology, construction materials and associated environment issues, having direct bearing on the development of irrigation and power in the country and functions as an adviser and consultant in the above fields to various projects and organizations in India and abroad.
What we don’t do?
- Soil investigations pertaining to agricultural purposes
- Water testing pertaining to pollution/drinking except in certain cases.
What are the main activities of CSMRS ?
Research, investigations and consultancy in the following disciplines:
- Soil Mechanics.
- Rock Fill Soil Dynamics.
- Rock Mechanics-I.
- Rock Mechanics-II.
- Concrete Technology.
- Concrete Diagnostics and Chemistry.
The main focus of the Research station is to carry out detailed field and laboratory investigations in respect of river valley projects and connected structures. CSMRS also helps river valley projects in Quality Control and Quality Assurance aspects.
Who are our clients?
We undertake works from Central and State Government Departments and Public Sector projects.
Does CSMRS undertake works from organizations other than those belonging to Central, State Government Departments and Public Sector Undertakings?
Yes, CSMRS undertakes private works other than Central and State Government Departments and Public Sector Undertakings. CSMRS of its own may undertake works only amounting to Rs.5 Lakhs for the Private Sector. Works exceeding Rs.5 Lakhs has to be routed through Water and Power Consultancy Service Ltd. (WAPCOS), a Public Sector Undertaking under Ministry of Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation.
What does CSMRS specialise in?
- Dispersive and Expansive Soils
- Diagnostic Investigations
- Durability of Structures
- Geophysical Investigations
- Insitu Stress measurement in rocks
- Geosynthetics Investigations
- Quality Control
- Evaluation of DPR
What are our strong points?
Our linkages with
- Central Water Commission (CWC), New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore
- Ministry of Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation, New Delhi
- Water and Power Consultancy Service Ltd (WAPCOS), New Delhi
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), New Delhi
- National Hydro Electric Power Corporation (NHPC), New Delhi
- Geological Survey of India (GSI), Lucknow
- Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI), Norway
Does CSMRS undertake fabrication of Geotechnical Instruments?
Yes. Some examples are:
- 3 D Crack monitor
How many technical papers on an average are presented by CSMRS officials in a year?
About 45 technical papers per year.
Is CSMRS supporting the students from educational institutes for their PG and PhD thesis work?
Does CSMRS conduct training programmes?
Yes. CSMRS does conduct training programmes for special target groups
What are the other facilities available at CSMRS?
CSMRS has the following facilities also.
- Auditorium with a full capacity of 200 seats
- Hostel for trainees
- Lecture hall with a capacity of 40 seats
Who is to be contacted for undertaking projects?
Central Soil and Materials Research Station Ministry of Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation,
Olof Palme Marg Outer Ring Road,
Near IIT Hostel Hauz Khas,
New Delhi-110 016
||+91 11 26967985, 26961894
||+91 11 26853108