Group Head: Shri S. L. Gupta, Scientist ‘E’
Rock Mechanics (II) group comprises of Rock Mechanics Laboratory division, Workshop and Instrumentation division, and Electronics division. Main activities are:
- For detailed and controlled testing of responses of rock under different loading conditions, the Rock Engineering Laboratory is well-equipped to undertake the holistic assessment of the detached rock.
- The involvement of Instrumentation division with Hydro-electric Projects starts at the pre-construction stage, and this association continues throughout the construction stage, and remains active even during the post-commissioning stage. To gain confidence in the functioning/safety of the structures involved, and to check the assumptions involved in the design of the structures, crucial importance of instrumentation cannot be over-emphasised.
- Monitoring the health of the existing structures.
- The Electronics division provides support and consultancy in Electronic Instrumentation, preparation of specifications of electronic equipments, calibration and accreditation of laboratory testing facilities in addition to providing support on testing, installing newly procured electronic equipments. Repair and Maintenance of instruments.
- Dissemination of expertise to in-service engineers of various State Government Departments by establishing regional testing laboratories and impart training in laboratory testing on rock.
- Impart training to engineers from within the country and from overseas for investigation and testing in the fields of Geotechnical Engineering.
- Procurement Division Procurement of equipments, instruments and consumables. Annual Maintenance contract for existing equipments. Preparation of purchase manual.